FOLA News

Check here for communications from our Board and members, including meeting Agendas, Minutes, and memorandums to FOLA members and community leaders. 

For questions about posting here, please contact webmaster@fola.org

 

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
  • August 13, 2017 8:30 PM | Rachel Comstock (Administrator)
  • May 24, 2017 9:28 PM | Rachel Comstock (Administrator)
  • April 09, 2017 9:46 PM | Rachel Comstock (Administrator)

    Monthly Meeting Minutes  FOLA Meeting Minutes April 2017.docx

  • February 09, 2017 11:02 AM | FOLA Webmaster

    Friends of Lake Apopka

    Monthly Board Meeting

    February 9, 2017

    Meeting Minutes


    FOLA minutes Feb 2017 Final.docx


  • January 12, 2017 8:28 AM | Rachel Comstock (Administrator)

    Materials from our meetings FOLA Public meetings Jan 2017 (pdf).pdf

    Additional materials from the Winter Garden Meeting Marzolf - FOLA 170110.pdf

    Additional materials from the Apopka Meeting

    LARC presentation - 1-6-17.pdf

    FOLA Public meetings Jan 2017 (1).pdf


  • September 12, 2016 10:22 AM | FOLA Webmaster

    Friends of Lake Apopka

    Monthly Board Meeting

    September 8, 2016

    • 1.   5:40 P.M.  Call to Order – Oakland Nature Preserve
    • ·        Board member roll call
    •                                          i.    Present: Joe Dunn, Taressa George, Phoebe Gonsalves, Glenn Burns, Theo Graham, Kathy Rigling (for Deborah Green), Tim Bachmeyer, Jim Peterson (Science Adviser)
    •                                         ii.    Absent: Frank Merritt, Rachel Comstock, Dennis Jones, Dennis Refro, Jim Hawley, Tom Johnson, Rick Polland, Eric Sochocki
    • ·        Attendee introductions

    Present: Drew Shatzer, Blake Shatzer, Mary Oakes, Mike Conti,

    John Davis

    • 2.   Treasurer’s Report

    Current balance is $8,532.60.  We had a deposit of $384.37.

    The 2 bikes for Oakland Heritage Festival raffle cost us $631.90. 

    • 3.   Old Business:
    • ·        Acquisition of Hull Island – Jim Peterson

    Because the owner of the Hull Island property (on advice of counsel) would not sign a “willing seller” letter, the completed grant for the purchase of Hull Island was not submitted. The grant application is ready if the sale to a developer falls through. The development still has to be approved by the Town of Oakland.

    • ·        Update: Archive Project – Joshua King

    Joshua began this project to archive and organize more than 20 years of historical articles/papers/etc. in the summer of 2015. He completed scanning the majority of the 830 documents in October of last year, and since then, he has been working exclusively on metadata entries. Joshua graduated from UCF this year, but the university has agreed to allow him to continue using their facilities for this project. FOLA intends to send a thank you note to the university. Joshua expects to complete the project in July 2017.

    • 4.   New Business
    • o   Meeting date change to 2nd Thursday of the month
    • §  Board needs: Lake County, Science, Legislative, Media
    • ·        A Science Committeee needs to be formed to create a draft position for the FOLA Board on:
    • o   MFL (SJRWMD is in the process of formulating their proposed metrics, which includes public meetings this Fall. The District agreed to have meetings with FOLA on specific issues.
    • o   Continued reduction of Phosphorus in the LAKE
    • o   Continued harvest of Gizzard Shad
    • o   Spend plan for $5M/year restoration funds
    • o   Increasing Submerged Aquatic Vegatation
    • o   Specific technology pilot projects
    • ·        FOLA reiterated it’s intent to SJRWMD to continue to have open discussions and a respectful dialogue
    • §  Jim Thomas update
    • ·        Jim is expecting to go home from the rehab facility in 1-2 weeks. He sends his warmest regards and gratitude for all of the hardwork FOLA continues to do.
    • o   Oakland Heritage Festival (10/22) – Taressa George

    ONP/FOLA will have a shared booth at the Heritage Festival and will raffle two bicycles (thank you WheelWorks) and a kayak. Tickets are $1 each or 6 tickets for $5.

    • o   Update: Newton Park waterfront trash
    • §  Sean Lowry; Lake Apopka Kayaking Club

    Approximately 10 people have signed up for the ONP Blue Hike at 8:30am on Saturday, September 10th. The City of Winter Garden Parks Dept. will collect our trash bags and dispose of the waterborne rubbish.

    • o   Update: Habitat Restoration Project, North Shore
    • §  Drew Shatzer: Project Leader

    Next volunteer day is Saturday, September 17th @ Biosphere 9am-1pm.  Drew is also planning a weekday evening session after the planting day (between Sept 20th-22nd) around 4pm.        

    • o   Organization of Public Meeting – Joe Dunn
    • §  “State of the Lake” presentation- need Powerpoint expert

    Consensus of the group was to schedule the 3 public meetings (Winter Garden, Apopka, Lake County) in January 2017

    to start the year fresh and not compete with the Holidays.

    We will send out a broadcast email to FOLA members asking for a graphic artist/PowerPoint expert to help with the presentation

    SJRWMD has given us permission to use the “psychedelic aningha” artwork for a new FOLA t-shirt.

    • o   Next month: Draft By-laws & Paul Faircloth (eco-tourism)

    Consensus of the group was to review the draft by-laws by email and then, if necessary, have a Board-only meeting to discuss contentious issues (if any). It was also suggested that we get a legal review of the “final draft” of the by-laws.

    Our October FOLA Board meeting will focus on Eco-tourism and especially the proposed developments at Magnolia Park. There was a vocal concern about airboats and seaplanes on the lake. An alternative of camouflaged pontoon boats was suggested as a more eco-friendly alternative. Paul Faircloth has requested an opportunity to present to the FOLA Board and Commissioner Bryan Nelson has been invited to address the Board at our October 13th meeting.  Once we have more detailed information, we will have a Board-only meeting to establish FOLA’s position on the Eco-tourim plans.

    • o   Other new business
    • §  3 minute rule

    Board members requested access to the FOLA membership database

    Board members were asked to provide a brief bio and photo for the FOLA website & Facebook page to FOLA Secretary Rachel Comstock (secretary@fola.org or racfola@gmail.com)

    by September 22nd.

    Phoebe Gonsalves & Taressa George agreed to collaborate on a social media approach for FOLA

    Drew Shatzer agreed to coordinate the volunteer schedule for this years festivals (Oakland Heritage Festival & Winter Garden Music Fest)

    Jim Peterson agreed to update and streamline the historic timeline on the FOLA website

    It was suggested that FOLA consider extending some new membership benefits as an incentive to attract new members

    • 5.    Adjourn 7:00 pm


  • August 09, 2016 7:52 AM | FOLA Webmaster

    Friends of Lake Apopka

    Monthly Board Meeting

    August 4, 2016

    • 1.    5:30 P.M.  Call to Order – Oakland Nature Preserve
    • 2.    Treasurer’s Report; $8,730.13 in account
    • 3.    Old Business:
    • a.    Acquisition of Hull Island (Orange County) – Taressa
    •                                                    i.     Oakland Nature Preserve received news from Trust for Public Lands that funds are available through a grant from Florida Communities Trust – The Town of Oakland and ONP are working on submitting an application by the August 30th deadline
    •                                                   ii.     Archaeological studies have been conducted on the site indicating artifacts have been found on the property
    •                                                 iii.     Not sure if the property would have to be rezoned if purchased by a developer and not sure of status of property owner’s willingness to sell to Town/ONP.   
    •                                                 iv.     If anyone has any experience writing grants, contact ONP or the Town
    • b.    Archive Project update – Joshua King will present at the September meeting; discuss at October meeting; will present remaining project and timeline
    • 4.    New Business
    • o   Jim Thomas update - at Health Central Park (in Winter Garden) room 325
    • o   Oakland Heritage Festival (10/22) – Taressa George – If FOLA wants to have a booth at the event, it will need FOLA volunteers to set up the FOLA tent and materials.  The event is from 9a – 4p; Drew will coordinate volunteers for FOLA; sell T-shirts and a Bike raffle; will talk to Wheelworks regarding bike.
    • o   Proposed: Meeting date change to 2nd Thursday of the month- per conversation with those in attendance there is no concern with this. 
    • o   Update: Newton Park waterfront trash- Sean Lowry offered to lead kayak cleanup crew first outing in September
    • o   Habitat Restoration Project, North Shore
    • §  Drew Shatzer: Project Leader- activity at Biosphere on 8/20
    • o   Design new outreach materials
    • §  Taressa George & Ed Aduss will schedule a workgroup meeting
    • 5.    Adjourn


  • June 02, 2016 7:46 AM | FOLA Webmaster

    Friends of Lake Apopka

    Monthly Board Meeting Agenda

    June 2, 2016

    ·        1.   5:30 P.M.  Call to Order – Oakland Nature Preserve

    ·        Introductions

    ·        Board Members in attendance

    • Rachel Comstock
    • Taressa George
    • Glenn Burns
    • Jim Hawley
    • Tim Bachmeyer
    • Joe Dunn
    • Tom Johnson

    ·        2.   Treasurer’s Report- Frank wasn’t in attendance

    ·        3.   Old Business:

    o   a.   Jim Thomas update

    o   b.   Acquisition Hull Island, Update – Jim Peterson

      • No new information waiting on public trust to give information on when to move.  Was able to spend $ on appraisal; no action required at this time.   Would be a great addition to ONP.  Approximately 40 acres; near a canal; native American; critical to try to keep as part of the preserve rather than another development;
      • People can contact  to state that they are in support of; main thing waiting on is Amendment 1 funds
      • Legislature wanted to spend Amendment 1 funds on maintenance, salary etc. 
      • Jim Peterson to mobilize us when we need to do something and take action; people can do individually and as FOLA
    • Additional item; Local Hotel had requested a presentation of FOLA; Joe Dunn volunteered;

    ·        4.   New Business

    o   Habitat Restoration Project, North Shore

    §  Planting plan <Jim Thomas had put together a planting plan> If anyone had an electronic copy of this, please provide

    §  Jim Peterson may have Cypress trees from Maria – these are 40 gallon cypress tress

    §  Coordination volunteer needed

    §  1,000 cypress trees June 25th

    • 3 gallon pots for 1,000 tree event

    §  Schedule site with SJRWMD

    §  Discuss flagging methodology

    o   Organization of Public Meeting – Joe Dunn/Jim Peterson

    • Joe is finalizing presentation
    • Will send to board for final review
    • First Draft 7/31
    • Finalize document by 8/30
    • Set date for meeting in August
    • Meeting for September/October
    • Determine when we need to set location- this needs to be finalized by August

    o   Membership Drive – Joe Dunn

    o   FOLA Fundraiser

    • This will come after the public meeting

    o   Addition of new Board Members

    • Jim Thomas wants to add more people to the board
      • Criteria: Passion, impact, willing to raise their hand
      • Need to find original draft of charter to ensure we are following the by-laws

    o   Design new  education materials

    §  Coordination volunteer needed

     Taressa and Ed volunteered

    §  Tablecloths

    §  Festivals starting in September/October

    §  Consider Wings and Wildflower festival(sign up is now)

    §  Taressa to send Rachel the festival list

    o   Upgrade FOLA/ONP Booth - coordination volunteer needed- tie this to the education materials update

    ·        5.   Adjourn

    Minimum Flow Levels presentation by Jim Hawley/Mary Oakes/Will Hawthorne– intent is to share at FOLA public meetings; this is an internal test presentation for what we would want to share; SJRWMD public meetings on MFL will be in August/September


<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 

© 2016 Friends of Lake Apopka. All Rights Reserved.  webmaster@fola.org

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software